Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Stitches

My sweet little boy had to get stitches this weekend. We woke up Saturday morning and I decided to take him to the Children's Museum so we headed downtown St. Paul for a morning of fun filled adventure. We have a membership so we take Blake about once a month. He loves exploring all the different rooms.

As we were heading up to the admissions counter, I turned my back on Blake to get my wallet out so I could hand them my membership card. Within a few seconds I heard him scream and I turned around and he had fallen and this big metal post had fallen on top of his forehead. I completely lost it when I saw blood, I immediately picked him up and the blood was everywhere. As soon as I looked at his forehead I knew he needed stitches as the cut was very deep. After we got the blood to stop we bandaged him up and I headed to the ER at Children's museum. Luckily there was no wait at the ER and we were seen right away. They put some numbing gel on Blake's forehead and then we had to wait about an hour before they put the stitches in. I was a complete nervous wreck; I don't like the site of blood especially when it's my baby boy who is bleeding. The doctor was very nice and we strapped Blake's arms and legs and I held onto his hand as the doctor began stitching him up. He ended up with 2 stitches on the inside and 7 on the outside. He did remarkably well and only cried a few times when he lost sight of me. We sang "Wheels on the Bus" while she was putting in the stitches and it really calmed him down.

I just feel like an awful Mommy right now. I can't believe my little boy got hurt so bad. I will be replaying those 5 seconds in my mind over and over again and why did I ever turn my back on him. I just hope and pray that the scar won't be too bad, but unfortunately, it's right in the middle of his forehead. So for the rest of my life that scar will remind me of those 5 seconds when I turned my back on him and he got hurt.

He seems to have recovered quickly and is already running around full speed which is making me a complete nervous wreck because I'm scared he is going to split hit stitches back open. We have an appointment on the day after Thanksgiving to get the stitches out.

No comments: