Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, July 13, 2009

Good & Not So Good News!

I had my 24 week u/s today and received both good and not so good news.



Good News: Baby looked perfect and was measuring 3 days ahead at 24w3d with a heartbeat of 146 and weighed approximately 1lb 9oz.



Not So Good News: My cervix has continued to shorten. It was only measuring at 1.7 which is not good. I had the same doctor today that I had seen on July 2nd and she was very surprised to see that it had changed that much in 11 days. They immediately hooked me up to the monitors for a half hour to see if I was having contractions that I just couldn’t feel. Luckily there were no signs of contractions. The baby is in a breech position. During the u/s to measure the cervix the baby was totally kicking on the cervix the entire time, the u/s tech even commented that she has never seen a baby kick/dance on the cervix like that. It makes me so nervous; I wish the baby would turn so it would stop kicking me down there. I was pretty sure that the baby was in a breech position because I always feel the kicks down low. The doctor also did a pelvic exam to make sure that the cervix was closed from the outside which it was.



At MN Perinatal you see a number of different doctors instead of seeing the same doctor at each visit. Each doctor has their own opinion of whether or not I should have a cerclage stitch in put in. The 2 main reasons for a cerclage stitch is that your cervix is opening from the inside (funneling) or it has started to open from the outside (dilating). In my case, neither of these are happening, but my cervix is continuing to shorten which is not normal. So the doctor I saw today said she is in favor of putting the stitch in instead of playing the “wait and see” game.



So I will go to United Hospital at 8:00 am on Wednesday morning and see Dr. Lynch-Soloman (my favorite doctor) for another cervical measurement and see if anything changes in the next 36 hours and get his opinion on whether or not to have the surgery. I was told to not eat anything past 10pm on Tuesday night and to pack an overnight bag for a hospital stay. I believe they monitor you for a while to make sure you are not contracting before they bring you back to surgery. I will be given an epidural or spinal block for pain during the procedure and then they will monitor me for 1 to 2 days in the hospital.



I’m sure this is way more information than anyone cared to know about a cervix, but just wanted to keep everyone updated. So it looks like I will not be getting off “strict” bed rest anytime in the near future. But I’m willing to do whatever it takes to get this baby here safe and healthy.



Please say a prayer for Baby Jones that everything is going to be ok and that I can make it another 8 weeks to my 32 week goal.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Lisa, I am sorry you are having all these difficult things happening in your body! I don't see why they didn't do a cerclage when you were 11 weeks just for precaution, that's why my doctor did for me when I was pg with Grish, he didn't want to take any chances..The cerclage is a piece of cake! It takes maybe 15 mins, but I do have to warn you, it's the MOST embarrassing thing to ever have done! LOL...Good luck my friend..I will be saying prayers for you and your baby!

Krista said...

I hope your visit to the hospital went smoothly today. I'm so sorry you're going through this extra stress, but the good news is Baby Jones is doing well. Hang on to that...and hopefully you'll go well past 32weeks!